What makes a good Powerlifting Gym?
There are some key things to factor in:
- Location: Obviously this is completely personal, but as a Birmingham gymgoer the chances are you will rely on public transport to some extent. So it needs to be easily accessible and not in the middle of a rancid industrial park
- Cost: Pretty obvious, but a powerlifting gym shouldn’t be too expensive. The equipment doesn’t need to be state of the art, but we need racks and platforms. They should provide a free taster session for anyone interested – but I will link you to a one-off session available on hussle for each gym.
- Quality: Quality in this scenario doesn’t simply refer to the quality of equipment on offer. I don’t mind something rough and ready as opposed to sparkling when it comes to weightlifting. This is also to do with changing room and toilet quality, staff friendliness, pre-workout and protein stock, atmosphere etc.
- Cleanliness: For me a powerlifting gym doesn’t have to be perfect. In fact I want some scrapes and scratches on the equipment. A little grit, sweat and spit never hurt anyone. What I hate is dusty floors and weights left scattered all over the gym.
- Equipment Availability: An empty weightlifting gym is a ship without a captain. Soulless. Devoid of a certain energy that ironheads need to reach their peak. It’s got to be gritty, but friendly. Encouraging, but also a little intimidating.
So that’s my quality rating for each gym. Each will be marked out of 5 with relevant links to review pages and links for one off session purchases.
I’ll then give a total score out of 20 to celebrate the overall Birmingham winner.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed collating it.
The 7 Best Powerlifting & Weightlifting Gyms in Birmingham
Birmingham is full of top quality powerlifting and weightlifting gyms. From the budget (£4.50 / session) to the premium (£10+), there’s something to fit everyone’s budget and style.
|Gym||Cost||Equipme-nt Availabili-ty||Equipme-nt Quality||Clean-liness||Average Rating||Shop|
|Stevie B’s Gym||£|
Each link takes you through to the gym’s homepage or hussle.com page where you’re able to find out a little more about the gym and book a day, weekly or monthly session.
Cumulative Score: 19.1
The editor’s choice and outstanding Birmingham gym for all things powerlifting and weightlifting related. If you’re serious about the sport then this is the gym for you.
MSC Performance has it all. Elite level squat racks, platforms and free weights coupled with great coaches and atmosphere to boot.
It’s the only gym you would class as premium on the lift and with good reason. It’s absolutely worth the money.
Cumulative Score: 17.5
A fantastic old school bodybuilding and weightlifting gym, this Birmingham mecca has the lot.
Fantastic quality bodybuilding machines, free weights and a cool atmosphere, this spit and sawdust gym is excellent for powerlifting and bodybuilding.
A lot of the equipment has newer counterparts. But there’s nothing quite like the smell and history old school machines bring. I love it!
Cumulative Score: 17.7
An old school gym done up proper, Legion Fitness is an exceptional choice for those looking for strength and size gains.
It’s pretty well kept and foster an excellent environment. People want you to train hard and turn up consistently. There’s no substitute for hard work and Legion Fitness is a prime example of that.
You may have to wait a few minutes for a squat rack, but it’s totally worth it.
Cumulative Score: 17.2
An old school bodybuilding and martial arts facility in Birmingham, Stevie B’s is a top drawer independent club.
You’ll get a real range of gymgoers at Stevie’s. Wannabe martial artists, beginner and advanced bodybuilders and strength athletes.
As it’s been going for over 20 years, you can bet the owners really care about your happiness and the quality of the gym and it really shows.
Cumulative Score: 17.5
Whilst Total Fitness may be on the outskirts of Birmingham (Tipton), it deserves it’s place on this list.
Much like others on this list Total Fitness is an old school, chalky bodybuilding gym that has brilliant training equipment.
Full of isolation machines, free weights and racks, you can feel the buzz as soon as you walk through the door(s).
Cumulative Score: 18
A legendary Birmingham gym dedicated to muscle builders and powerlifters. An old school gym with an old school mentality, train hard and enjoy the atmosphere at Temple Gym.
They make sure everybody feels welcome and the central location (and excellent pricing) makes it competitive with any gym in the surrounding area(s).
It’s hard to find a gym with a better price and range of facilities.
Cumulative Score: 17.3
This glorious warehouse space is truly open all hours.
A massive facility with excellent bodybuilding, boxing and weightlifting facilities Gym 24/7 would be a fantastic option for anyone in the area.
The fact it’s such great value is just one of the perks.