What makes a good Powerlifting Gym?
There are some key things to factor in:
- Location: Obviously this is completely personal, but as a Leeds gymgoer the chances are you will rely on public transport to some extent. So it needs to be easily accessible and not in the middle of a rancid industrial park.
- Cost: Pretty obvious, but a powerlifting gym shouldn’t be too expensive. The equipment doesn’t need to be state of the art, but we need racks and platforms. They should (hopefully) provide a free taster session for anyone interested – but I will link you to a one-off session available on hussle for each gym.
- Quality: Quality in this scenario doesn’t simply refer to the quality of equipment on offer. I don’t mind something rough and ready as opposed to sparkling when it comes to weightlifting. This is also to do with changing room and toilet quality, staff friendliness, pre-workout and protein stock, atmosphere etc.
- Cleanliness: For me a powerlifting gym doesn’t have to be perfect. In fact I want some scrapes and scratches on the equipment. A little grit, sweat and spit never hurt anyone. What I hate is dusty floors and weights left scattered all over the gym.
- Equipment Availability: An empty weightlifting gym is a ship without a captain. Soulless. Devoid of a certain energy that ironheads need to reach their peak. It’s got to be gritty, but friendly. Encouraging, but also a little intimidating.
So that’s my quality rating for each gym. Each will be marked out of 5 with relevant links to review pages and links for one off session purchases.
I’ll then give a total score out of 20 to celebrate the overall Leeds’ winner.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed collating it.
The 7 Best Powerlifting & Weightlifting Gyms in Leeds
Leeds is full of top quality powerlifting and weightlifting gyms. From the budget (£4.50 / session) to the premium (£10+), there’s something to fit everyone’s budget and style.
|Gym||Cost||Equipme-nt Availabili-ty||Equipme-nt Quality||Clean-liness||Average Rating||Shop|
|Snap Fitness (Wellington St)||£££|
|Snap Fitness (Leeds Oakwood)||££|
Each link takes you through to the gym’s homepage or hussle.com page where you’re able to find out a little more about the gym and book a day, weekly or monthly session.
Cumulative Score: 18.7
An exceptional quality gym at any price Firehouse Fitness is fantastic for powerlifters, Olympic weightlifters and bodybuilders alike.
Elite level squat racks and platforms, if it’s powerlifting you’re after you’ll absolutely be satisfied. It’s an incredible quality facility and one you don’t want to miss.
Cumulative Score: 18
It’s squat racks and Olympic weights aplenty down at Snap Fitness. A weightlifters dream.
All the Snap Fitness gyms are cracking places to train. It’s usually kept in great condition and such a friendly environment.
Dumbbells up to 60kg and just a short walk to Leeds’ station there really is no excuse.
Cumulative Score: 19.5
The tagline is ‘fitness driven by science.’ When someone comes up with a statement like that, you best make sure it’s backed up.
Certainly the editor’s choice for powerlifting gyms in Leeds, Implexus is an amazing facility.
They hold strongman competitions and you’ll notice a distinct lack of cardio machines. That’s because these guys really know what they’re doing. If you’re serious about lifting then this is the gym for you. You can soak up knowledge from all around and get better and better.
Cumulative Score: 18.1
Much like the other Snap Fitness, Leeds Oakwood is a great facility for powerlifters and bodybuilders. And cracking value to boot!
Heavy bags, squat racks and top quality hypertrophy machines, you’ll want for nothing at either Snap Fitness location.
The only difference is that this gym is in the northeast of Leeds.
Cumulative Score: 19.4
Definitely not your average gym and deserves an editors’ choice for just how good it really is.
View this post on Instagram
HAVE AN INJURY?🙅🏻♂️ Too scared to do any exercise in case you will make it worse?👀 Make sure you are doing lots of rehab and mobility work to aid proper movement without restriction✅ If you have suffered with an injury for a long time don’t expect it to get better in a week❌ THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE FAIL – THIS IS WHERE WE CAN HELP YOU👆🏼 We will assess your injury and prescribe exercise based drills that need to be done every day. We can then re-assess and advance these drills to allow your body to keep progressing🎖 At Generation Fit there is always someone to help, our trainers are experts in biomechanics and injuries which means YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE👫 If you want help gettjng back to normality and training properly again we can help! – Send us a DM if you need help and support📲 #generationfit #leeds #bramley #training #injury #rehab #physio #leedsgym #leedspt #backinjury #exercise #fitness #wefixpeople #injurysupport
It’s an incredible warehouse space with a plethora of platforms that are perfect for powerlifting and weightlifting.
A really knowledgeable team who will guide your weightlifting progress should you wish. I highly recommend this gym.
Cumulative Score: 17.6
A proper old school bodybuilder style gym. It’s no nonsense and no frills and that’s just how we like it.
You’ll mix it with everyone who’s anyone. There’s chalk and dust flying everywhere and incredible murals all over the walls. But it’s brilliant.
It’s a little way from the city centre, but if you’re looking for an old school, backs to the wall place to train then this is it.
Cumulative Score: 18.7
Everything is brand new. It’s all been refurbed and the facility for weightlifting, MMA, boxing, whatever you need is exceptional.
Whether you’re an experienced strength athlete or totally new to the game, they pride themselves on their welcoming environment.
You’ll train with pro bodybuilders and strength athletes, which is exactly what you need to get better.
They want you to be a part of the club and community they’re trying to build. And that’s something to be proud of!