What makes a good Powerlifting Gym in Bristol?
I have a system when it comes to deciding on the best powerlifting gyms. Like most cities in England, Bristol is big, pretty congested and quite built up. Albeit lovely of course.
But when it comes to powerlifting gyms in Bristol there are some key points to factor in:
- Location: Obviously this is completely personal, but as a Bristolite you may need public transport. So it needs to be easily accessible and not in the middle of a rancid industrial park.
- Cost: Pretty obvious, but a powerlifting gym shouldn’t be too expensive. The equipment doesn’t need to be state of the art, but we need racks and platforms. Any good Bristol gym should provide a free taster session. I will always link you to a one-off session available on hussle for each gym.
- Quality: Quality in this scenario doesn’t simply refer to the quality of equipment on offer. I don’t mind something rough and ready as opposed to sparkling when it comes to weightlifting. This is also to do with changing room and toilet quality, staff friendliness, pre-workout and protein stock, atmosphere etc.
- Cleanliness: For me a powerlifting gym doesn’t have to be perfect. In fact I sometimes want some scrapes and scratches on the equipment. A little grit, sweat and spit never hurt anyone. What I hate is dusty floors and weights left scattered all over the gym.
- Equipment Availability: Whilst Bristol isn’t London, it’s busy. You need a little space to your self and you don’t want to wait forever for equipment. It’s got to be gritty, but friendly. Encouraging, but also a little intimidating. It should drive you on! Waiting around forever isn’t conducive to progression.
So that’s my quality rating for each gym. Each will be marked out of 5 with relevant links to review pages and links for one off session purchases.
I’ll then give a total score out of 20 to celebrate the overall Bristolian winner.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed collating it.
The 5 Best Powerlifting & Weightlifting Gyms in Bristol
Bristol is on the up when it comes to top quality powerlifting and weightlifting gyms. From the budget (£4.50 / session) to the premium (£10+), we’ve tried to include something for everyone.
|Gym||Cost||Equipme-nt Availabili-ty||Equipme-nt Quality||Clean-liness||Average Rating||Shop|
|Nuffield Health Bristol||£££|
|Gloucester Road Fitness||££|
Each link takes you through to the gym’s homepage or hussle.com page where you’re able to find out a little more about the gym and book a day, weekly or monthly session.
Cumulative Score: 18.2
A really well maintained, high standard gym right in the heart of the city.
Nuffield always has high end equipment, cardio machines and a pool. This one’s no different. Whilst they may not be as tough as proper weightlifting gyms, they’re always top draw for relaxation and recovery.
There are cheaper, grittier gyms you could go to. One’s with better powerlifting facilities and stronger trainers to aspire towards. But Nuffield is a premium chain for a reason. It’s convenience and quality outweighs the above.
Cumulative Score: 19
An enormous, old school space that boasts incredible weightlifting equipment. It’s the editor’s choice.
Trojan Fitness is one the best equipped gyms in the Southwest. Exceptional for bodybuilding and powerlifting.
Grab your free session and test out one of the best gyms and training environments in Bristol.
Cumulative Score: 17.9
One of the best located gyms in Bristol, Gloucester Road Fitness is so convenient for every Bristolite bodybuilder.
A cracking range of platforms, Olympic style weights and old school bodybuilding equipment. Gloucester Road Fitness doesn’t require much waiting around.
It’s gritty, but well maintained. A proper place to train with a brilliant atmosphere.
Cumulative Score: 18.5
An old school gym in Bishopsworth, Legends has an exceptional array of bodybuilding equipment, platforms and Eleiko plates.
Somewhat of a mecca in the powerlifting equipment game.
View this post on Instagram
Lush deadlift Jack made in Legends colours by the excellent Kustom Kit – makes loading and unloading the bar easy 💪🏻 we love it – especially with our Texas Deadlift Bar and bumper plates on it 👌🏻 #teamlegends #legends #legenddgym #legendsbristol #gym #weights #weightsbeforedates #bumperplates #deads #deadlift #gymkit #kit #kustomkit #deadliftjack #iron #lifting #liftweights #liftingheavy #livelovelift #instafitness #instagain #instapics #instadaily #gym #gymlife #gymrats #mancave
Full of atlas stones, strongman equipment, racks and tires. You name it, it’s available for use at Legends.
It’s a classic old school gym. A little dusty at times, but hard working and fun. Well worth a monthly pass.
Cumulative Score: 18.3
A modern 24/7 gym with incredible space and equipment. Village Gym is one of the best places to train for miles around.
View this post on Instagram
Looks like Leg Day for Village Gym member @tiny3tim… "Just legs again then yeah!?!? 😛 beginning to walk like a heavily pregnant lady!!! 💪" #sunday #sundaysweat #legs #leg #legday #squat #squats #heavy #weight #motivation #gym #gymlife #muscle #VillageGym #selfie #bodybuilding #powerlifting #fitness #strength #conditioning #teamtiny #Villagelife #gymmembers
Over 100 classes per week, proper Olympic standard rubber weight plates and a really modern setup. Fantastic swimming pool and even a discount at the village pub.
Ideal for recovery!
High class changing facilities, lockers and equipment, plus service with a smile, make Village Gym one of the top places to try powerlifting in the southwest.